Teaching and Learning at St Philips’ C of E Primary School
Class: Mrs Whelan Year 5 Half Term: Autumn 1
Your child will be learning about the following this half term:
- We will be reading Queen of the Falls, and using its narrative to help us write a recount of Annie Edson Taylor’s adventure
- We will be reading Beowulf and using it to write a biography
- During Guided Reading, we will be using Complete Comprehension to practise the different skills of reading. Some of the teats include ‘Dragonology’ and ‘How to Train your Dragon’.
Our first main topic, place value, will help us to understand numbers better. We will understand which place values hold higher value than others, be able to round to the nearest 10, 100 or 1000, use numbers up to 1,000,000 and write complex 7-digit numbers in order of size.
Our other main topic involves using and understanding different ways to add and subtract numbers. These numbers may involve exchanges, and we will also work on estimation and approximation.
· Our Science topic is Properties and Changes of Materials in which we compare and group together everyday materials on the basis of their properties, including their hardness, solubility, transparency, conductivity (electrical and thermal), and response to magnets
· know that some materials will dissolve in liquid to form a solution, and describe how to recover a substance from a solution
· use knowledge of solids, liquids and gases to decide how mixtures might be separated, including through filtering, sieving and evaporating.
- RE – Our RE topic is ‘What does it mean to Christians if God is holy and loving?’
- PSHE – Healthy Lifestyle – A topic dedicated to informing the pupils about and encouraging them to make healthy decisions in their life.
- Vector Drawing – Pupils will use Microsoft office to create drawings using shapes and lines, familiarising themselves with essential tools and problem solving using laptops.
- Our history lessons will focus on the Anglo-Saxons and whether the era they lived in really was a ‘dark-age’.
- Year 5 will be learning the ukulele this half term with a teacher from One Education.
- During our inside PE lessons, pupils will be taught gym sequences and allowed the freedom to create their own balance and stretch routines.
- Young Olympians – The dedicated sports coaches will tutor the children in games, both team and individual in a fun, friendly and engaging environment.
- Our Art topic is ‘Painting and mixed media: Portraits’.
- The children will create a self-portrait that aims to represent something about them and show they have considered the effect created by their choice of materials and composition in their final piece.
- MFL is being taught across the school by Mrs Fay. For Years 3,4,5 and 6 the topic is My Family and Me and we’ll also cover greetings, numbers and couple of songs.