At St. Philips we aim to create a high-quality Art education that engages, inspires and challenges pupils. Children will then be equipped with the knowledge and skills to
experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As our pupils progress through the school, we encourage them to be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of Art. We also focus on how Art both reflects and shapes our history, and contributes to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
We aim to ensure that all pupils:
● have the opportunity to record from first-hand experience and from imagination.
● develop opportunities to select their own ideas for use in their work.
● develop creativity and imagination through a range of stimulating activities.
● develop the ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
● increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in
different times and cultures.
● develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials.
● foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists,
crafts and design.